Thursday, January 24, 2013

Feminization Caption Story - Military Men

I've had this caption story finished for a couple of weeks now, but I really wasn't happy with the first frame.  It was one of those things where it simply wasn't good enough to post, and I hadn't had the time to re-do it before yesterday. 

The core problem is that it's really, really difficult to find quality pictures of the faces (of the types of models that I have to use for these sorts of stories).  Most of them only have one facial expression (usually a generic smile), and the angles are almost always wrong.  Throw in the fact that the lighting is usually wrong, low resolution images, and bad re-touching of photos, and you have a perfect combination for a frustrating process.  But when I finally get it right, it's a really satisfying feeling. 

I won't say anything I do is seamless, but I do think that a casual observer (who wasn't previously aware of what they were looking at) might mistake the mash-ups I do for real people.  And that's good progress, I think. 

Anyway, I wrote this little caption story on a bit of a lark.  It's not as serious as some of my others (though it may seem so until the very end), but it was fun to write. So I hope you all enjoy it:


























As an aside, for those of you who finished the story (minor spoilers incoming, for those who didn't read it yet)...please realize that I do not mean for this story to trivialize terrorism, the job our (and any country's) soldiers do, or the validity of female soldiers.  The nature of the "attack" is simply a plot device.  The perspective from which the story is told provided a means to disseminate information at a slow (but steady) pace while letting the reader see the feminization of a male.  And the chauvinism shown by the antagonists is, quite simply, a part of their culture (I actually  had a pretty in-depth backstory for them that didn't make the cut).  Much like in the Omar Bell Universe stories, the fact that I write a character with deplorable views does not mean that I share those views.  In short, you're not supposed to like those sorts of characters.  I guess what I'm trying to say here is that my stories are not to be taken very seriously, and are not meant to be offensive. 

I guess I just wanted to make all of that very clear. 

7 comments:

  1. Great story and photo work Nikki! Got pulled into this one thinking I knew where it was going and surprise, surprise you took it in another direction altogether. Very nice work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I didn't give it away earlier. I was a little afraid that the big twist would be anticipated. Still, glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Nikki, fantastic story!!! However, I think there is one thing the world gained from such incident: Peace! If all warriors, soldiers and aggressive males were just feminized and finally being happy about it, who ever would call for any war? With people just living in peace, loving each other and happy about it, this is just so unlikely to happen, for the better of the world. To pay some cattle as a price is just too cheap for not wanting such!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm not such a sexist that I believe that for a second. Women are just as violent as men. Human beings, by our very nature, are violent, territorial, and aggressive. It's a nice fantasy, though. I'm not above using stereotypes in my stories, so the utopian feminist society is still on the table (even though in reality, it's an unrealistic concept).

      Delete
    2. Nikki, although I claim to be no sexist either, I really had this nice fantasy of eternal peace while reading your fantastic caption story. Women might be just as violent and aggressive as men, but on a different level, using different methods, and having different goals thereby imo. Men and women are different in general basic character, attitude and quality imo, although equal in value. With my comment, I did not intend to rise the concept of a feminist society, as I think such is as sure to fail as a purely patriarchic society. However, I very much thank you for sharing your insight, inspiring me by your caption story as well as your most interesting comment. It gives me much to think about, which I am most greatful for.

      Delete
    3. I don't necessarily think it can't work - societies of all types "can" work. Whether they're just or not is a different story altogether. Either way, this story was originally going to feature a utopian feminist society as the antagonists (although the changes would have been for a different reason altogether). I won't give much of it away, because I might use it in the future.

      Whatever the case, Roland, I don't mean to belittle your opinions (I very much value your comments) or insult you. There was a fair bit of sarcasm in my original comment, though it's difficult to convey via text.

      Delete
    4. Nikki, just as I said, your comment inspired me, just as your most recent comment does. So do not worry about if you insulted me, as you really did not at all. I even did not see any belittling of my opinion in it, just very valuable exchange of opinions. And I really appreciate you back-commenting on me, and feel really honored by you doing so. My only concern is that I better do not waste your time that you can spend on your artwork, so I do my best to inspire you also in return by my comments.

      For the topic of human beings being violent by nature, regardless of their sex, I was reminded of the movie "Equilibrium" which I truly love. Maybe you know it, but I really recommend viewing it. I did so many times, and it was kind of a revelation for me.

      Delete