Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Books!

I was really excited to see that my books have begun to garner some reviews (not all good, but I'll get to that in a moment).  The idea that people are reading them and care enough to post their opinions tells me that I'm doing something right.  So thanks to those of you who have left reviews - positive or negative.  

I also wanted to let you all know about what I think is a really good deal.  Amazon's Kindle Unlimited service has been a really, really great deal for me - especially considering that I read quite a bit.  That said, it's really nice for those of us who enjoy this particular genre.  

Many of the writers who used to publish on free sites like Fictionmania have moved to publishing their work on Amazon - and for good reason.  While I'm as big a fan as any of free content (as evidenced by this blog), I recognize that asking someone to put forth the effort to write even a short story for free is a bit of a stretch.  However, I'm not the type of person to spend 1.99 here or 3.99 there to buy erotica.  I just can't justify that - especially with the up and down quality even amongst the good authors. 

So Amazon's Kindle Unlimited program is perfect for me.  I can spend 9.99 a month, and get access to thousands of books.  I guess what I'm saying is that it's a great option for me, and it might be a good idea for many of you as well.  

You can find out more by visiting AMAZON'S KINDLE UNLIMITED PAGE.  Or you could watch the following video:


Also, I wanted to let you all know that I created a new page for my books, complete with links and synopses.  You can find it grouped with the other pages on the right-hand side of this blog, entitled My Feminization Fiction. 

And finally, to the new reviews:

For An Experiment:

 

Connor gave it four stars, calling it "A very good story."

E and M gave it five stars, but had some concerns.  Here is the review (entitled "Well-Written"):

"I enjoyed the story, but it had grievous errors. First the couple are engaged and suddenly they're married? And the ending? Ugh, nothing was settled which leaves you feeling unsatisfied."

To address his concerns, I went back into the book, correcting a few inconsistencies (as to the characters' marital status.  The characters were originally supposed to be engaged, but I changed it about halfway through the writing process.  I guess I missed a few references to the old version.  However, it's fixed now.  As to the ending, I intended it to be open-ended, but I certainly didn't mean to frustrate readers.  I'll certainly try to correct the ambiguity in the future.  Still, despite the negative tone of the review, he gave it a five-star rating.  That's something, at least.

Alex gave the book four stars, saying:

"It is a story for those who like to read about men and women who are forced to play the role of a representative of the opposite sex. In the text there is a hint that this is a special case of a global plan to change the gender roles. I did not like that in this story there are a few men are involved along with women in forcing the heroes to change roles and unpleasant scene of rape." 

Liz gave the book five stars, saying:

"This book lives in the 'mad scientist' genre, but provides some surprises.  The descriptions of the transformation processes, both male to female and female to male, are detailed and quite wonderful.  The author writes beautifully, with evident technical skill.  There is violence and other graphic content.  If you are not offended by these things, and if you love transformation, then the book is simply a pleasure to read."
 

For Control:

 

Samuel gave it five stars, saying:

"A riveting novella about a man who, through a flute occurrence, experiences the ability to have it all. What he does with this gift is another story that brings up the most serious ethical concerns. If a mere mortal obtains the power to play God, would even God be safe?"

Sparta gave it two stars, saying:

"Great Cover Art! Not so great story line, just think how to hurt people for kicks and you get the sense of the plot. I love mind control stories but this will provide you with little in the way of entertainment and enjoyment. This isn't a control her mind for the enjoyment of her body story."

Carmen gave it one star, saying:

"I think this book should come with a disclosure, that the main character or writer is a sick F@@@. The writing was morbid and making people do things totally against their will is wrong. For instance making your grown azz sister mimic a 1 year old and her old azz mother has the ability to breast feed her just because you say so for years. And that wasn't even the bad part, just because your ex moved on from you, to go and make his new lover have sex with both of his parents is wrong. It would of been better if the main character woke up from the coma and everything he did was a dream. I think free speech is one thing but this book should of come with an accurate description of the content. Good thing it was a free read or I would ask for my money back.. And file a complaint with Amazon." 

While writing "Control", I recognized it as a niche piece.  It's not the sort of thing that everyone's going to like (or even be able to stomach).  However, I've always had issue with criticism of content as opposed to a critique of execution.  One allows for semi-objective evaluation that may be useful.  The other lets you complain about something that you don't like.  I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the former.  

While reading something like "Control" where the protagonist becomes so clearly evil, you're not supposed to like his actions.  They're supposed to make you uncomfortable.  

That said, I wish Amazon would have allowed my original description, which was far more descriptive, and functioned as a disclaimer.  Too bad it was kicked out due to a violation of their content policy.

Still, the fact that the book evoked some sort of response is gratifying.  Hopefully, there will be some positive ratings to counterbalance the negative reviews.  If not, I'll chalk the novel up as a mistake, and move on to stories with safer content.

Thanks again for your support.  Seriously check out Kindle Unlimited - there are quite a few really good authors writing in our genre, whose work you can enjoy for a fairly nominal cost.

4 comments:

  1. Everybody's a Critic.
    I downloaded the book, but haven't had time to read it yet, but I will keep an open mind. Writing a book any book is hard work and a learning experience. Keep working at it Nikki, you will hit your style sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind criticism. However, I like to think that criticism shouldn't be based on one's preferences, but rather an objective examination of the structure, syntax, plot, etc. Saying that you don't like something because, in effect, the themes make you uncomfortable is perfectly fine, but it's not criticism. That said, I never expected that particular story to appeal to any but a select audience. It's a weird grab-bag of kinks, after all.

      I'm not really working on my "style" anymore. I write the way I write - my captions are a good representation of that. However, I do hope that it will continue to evolve as I grow as a writer. That's the goal at least.

      Delete
  2. I just reviewed Control tonight, hon. Exciting, brilliant stuff. Yes, it's as dark and taboo as some of the complaints on Amazon suggest, but they completely missed the guilt, the doubt, and the ethical conflict. I thought the way you developed Adam worked exceptionally well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. For a while, I thought I'd completely failed in my portrayal of Adam's conflict, but the fact that you (and a couple of others) have seen it makes me think that some of the naysayers dismissed the work outright because they couldn't get past Adam's deplorable actions.

      Delete